Just like that my first is all of 5 and my toddler, not a toothless guppy anymore. How time has flown past leaving me wondering “whatever happened to the baby food only blogging days”? as I inch slowly towards blogging for slightly older critters!
Now that both eat what we eat it’s a relief cooking just the one meal for the whole family.
One of our recent favorites has become the “peri- peri egg mayonnaise open toast”. It’s filling and serves well as a main meal or brekkie or even a heavy snack. The recent obsession for the sweet and spicy Peri peri seasoning has the kids smacking their lips and sizzling in its after heat, yearning for more.
It’s easy enough to make without a fuss and rather satisfying.
What you will need:
- Eggs – I use the farm reared (free ranged) full on desi variety
- Multigrain bread
- Red onions
- Colored peppers of your liking
- Mustard powder
- A wee bit of honey
- Mayonnaise (homemade or store bought)
- A dash of extra virgin olive oil
OH! and the Peri- Peri seasoning!
- Medium boil an egg or a couple depending on the quantity you require
- Chop up the chives (fine), onions, lettuce & peppers (lengthwise)
- Whisk up some mayo in a bowl adding in the salt, pepper, mustard and honey
- Then to the whisked mayo add crushed boiled eggs and mix it up to a chunky consistency
- Toast the bread
- Layer it up with the egg mayo topped up with the greens and veg
- Sprinkle the peri – peri
- Finish it off with a dash of olive oil
Note: If you prefer a full bodied taste of the peri peri then add the seasoning in the mayonnaise while incorporating the egg in it.
Enjoy all at once! we finished off ours before I could even get a decent pic. :)
PS: Alternative to an open toast is also a grill egg mayo sandwich. It makes for a good lunchbox item.