Recycling old rotis! We’ve all been there at some point. I seem to be stuck with a surplus at any given time. So, when the excess paneer situation happened, an open face guac & paneer quesadilla was my go to.
It is super easy to make and it takes almost no cooking time. You can also crisp up the roti in the oven for an added crunch. Trilok loved and preferred the crisper version so here goes the recipe.
Here’s what you need:
- A day old chapatti/roti
- Half an avocado for the guacamole
- Onions, chopped
- Peppers in all colours, chopped
- Spring onions
- Olive oil
- cumin powder
- Amchur / dry mango powder
- Tandoor paneer masala or garam masala
Guac, is the easiest most delicious thing to make. It’s also so versatile. Use it as dip or on toast, fried eggs, omelette, heck parathas even!
- Take a ripe avocado and scoop out its flesh (use only half).
- With a fork squish it up. Set it aside
- In the same bowl add the chopped onions, peppers and cilantro
- Add the salt, pepper and cumin powder
- Squeeze in the lime juice and a drizzle of olive oil
- Now incorporate everything. Do it with a light hand you wouldn’t want the whole thing to go from looking fresh and green to earthy and brown
- set it in the fridge until you get the paneer filling ready
Paneer/cottage cheese filling:
This bit is super easy too.
- Crush the paneer
- In a skillet, drizzle olive oil or ghee even
- Simmer some powdered or whole cumin with freshly minced garlic
- Add just a pinch of turmeric powder
- Add the chopped onions, peppers, spring onions and sauté until a little tender but still a wee bit crunchy
- Now add the crushed paneer to the skillet and sauté for a few minutes
- Add salt, chat masala, amateur (dry mango powder) and tandoori paneer masala to taste
- Remove from stove and set it aside
Roti, the base:
Smear a little olive oil or ghee on both its surfaces and pop it in the oven for about 5 mins or until crisp. Same can be achieved on a tavaa on a low flame.
Once the paneer cools off a bit, get the guac out of the fridge and divide the two fillings on the crisp roti half and half. Garnish with coriander. Also I’ve used peppers and spring onions for the paneer prep though one can choose absolutely any kinds of veggie additions.
Viola! Open face crisp desi quesadilla is all ready for demolition!!