The flu season is back with a vengeance and this time I was its first casualty!
I hate taking meds because I get super drowsy with anything at all and everyone knows that mums don’t enjoy the privilege of ‘sick days’! Usually when the kids or the Hubs is coming down with the first signs of the flu I dole out the ‘Master Tonic.’
My first introduction to the tonic was via a friend who suggested I try it out for my children, and now, I cannot thank her enough for introducing us to the benefits of this miracle potion.
The tonic has great anti-inflammatory and decongestant properties and its ingredients are very effective anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-parasitic agents. There is ample literature available online on the numerous benefits of the ‘Master Tonic’.
My husband swears by it EVERY.SINGLE.TIME and so do I.
I make this potion once a year (around December), when I am able to source all ingredients for the tonic, fresh and organic. Living in India It was virtually impossible for me to source out Horseradish therefore I opted for the regular white radish and might I say it still works!
Here what you will need:
- Two knuckles of fresh turmeric (preferred) or else organic turmeric powder
- 1 cup white radish or 1/2 cup horseradish
- 1 cup onions
- 1/2 cup garlic
- 1/2 cup ginger
- 4 to 5 hot green chillies
- 1 L of organic apple cider vinegar (ACV), I’ve used Braggs
- 1 sterilised glass jar
Here what you will need:
- Either grate and pound everything so that the juices start to flow or mince everything in a food processor
- Take the sterile glass jar and pour in the ACV
- Dunk in all the ingredients such that everything is submerged in the liquid
- Cover the top and screw it on tight
- Store away in a cool dark place
- Shake the bottle occasionally, initially I would shake the bottle everyday
- Let the concoction ferment for a month AT LEAST
- Drain the sludge off by passing the liquid through a cheesecloth or a fine sieve
- Store the strained liquid in a sterilized glass bottle
When to take the Master Tonic:
When you feel the onset of flu, adults can take a small shot class full twice or thrice a day until the phlegm and soreness is on a decline (which will typically happen within 24 hours itself). If you have already contracted the flu and are at the peak of it, have it a little more often.
I usually administer the potion in a much smaller quantity (approx. 5 ml) to my children, but because my children are used to the taste I only need to pop in a little jaggery into their mouths after I’ve given the dose.
A word of caution though, IT IS A PUNGENT drink!
I am also NOT a nutritionist or a doctor so I am certainly not prescribing this in any professional capacity.
I am making this entry purely in the spirit of sharing my views about the Master Tonic and its therapeutic use and benefits that me and my family have reaped.