Last weekend we tried our hands at a fun little cooking activity with a rather satisfying payout!
The kids (with appropriate supervision) made a super easy 3 ingredient strawberry preserve that got slathered on buttery toast at the end! uuummmYUM!
- Strawberries, chopped
- Lemon Juice, a few tablespoons
- Sugar or Jaggery
Ratio of strawberries to sugar/jaggery: 2:1
- In a saucepan, throw in the diced strawberries and sugar
- Leave on sim until nice and pulpy
- Keep stirring until the desired consistency is achieved
- Add the lime juice after it cools down a bit
- Store away in a sterile glass jar
Enjoy on buttered toast, chapatis, yoghurt, crackers etc.
We love paneer in any form but butter paneer tops our list.
It really is quite easy to make and nothing quite like a home style paneer curry to brighten our day!
- Paneer 300gms, cubed
- 3 to 4 Tomatoes
- 3 Onions
- 4 to 5 Cashews
- 3 – 4 Pit-less dates
- 1 Green cardamom
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Small piece of cinnamon stick
- Ginger Garlic paste
- Kashmiri mirch powder or paste
- Jeera powder
- Dhaniya powder
- Amchur powder
- Kasuri Methi
- 1 Tbsp approx. Ghee
- Finely chopped coriander for garnish
- Cube the paneer and keep it aside
- In a kadhai take ghee and temper akkha (whole) jeera
- Add the cardamom, cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon, Kashmiri mirch (if dry) sauté for approx. 30 seconds
- Add the ginger garlic paste
- Add cashew and dates
- Add the chopped onions and sauté until pink add a pinch of salt
- Add the chopped tomatoes and sauté for a minute or two more
- Adjust salt
- Add the Kashmiri mirch paste if you are using paste. If not then you’d have already put the dry mirch by this point
- Add turmeric powder, dhaniya powder, jeera powder, Amchur powder and adjust salt again
- Sauté the whole mix until the ghee starts to separate and the masala is nicely cooked
- Remove from the gas and cool the masala. Blend the masala using a little water to a smooth and silky consistency. Adjust the water as you go along.
- Back to the kadhai, add the smooth gravy past and add more water if required and bring to a gentle simmer. Ensure that the water and the gravy are well incorporated.
- Add in the kasuri methi
- Add the cubes paneer
- Simmer on low, stirring occasionally for a few more mins
- Garnish with coriander
Serve warm with hot rotis or kulchas with a side of onion, cucumber or salad.