There were occasions when I was hard pressed for time and T wasn’t old enough to eat what we ate, so I’d have to think on my toes and offer him something that was in equal measure yummy and healthy.
So here’s a video of a fruit purée that I would quickly throw in together for him. I’ve used strawberries and bananas, but it works just as well with mangoes, musk or honey melons or any sweet fleshy fruit your baby likes.
Thank you for tuning in and hope you like it.
We’re tripping on Strawberries as one would notice with all my recent posts. So here’s another addition to the list. The Strawberry Coulis Cupcakes.
My heart sinks a little as I make these since we’re at the tail end of the season, but what a way to end it! They make a perfect post nap snack for T and since there is sugar in the coulis already I’ve gone easy with it in the cup cakes. It’s all about the flavour in this one!
Ingredients for the coulis:
- 200g strawberries, hulled and halved
- 150g castor sugar
- 75ml of water
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- Bring the water and caster sugar to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar
- Add the hulled and halved strawberries and cook for 4-5 minutes until the mixture starts to thicken a little and you are able to squash the strawberries
- Add in the vanilla essence/paste
- Let it cool and set aside
Ingredients for the cup cake:
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup castor sugar
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Strawberry Coulis
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease cupcake mould.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a medium bowl and set aside
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a medium bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time mixing thoroughly with each addition. Slowly stir the flour mixture in with the butter, sugar, and eggs. Beat in the milk and vanilla until the batter is smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared moulds
- Add the Strawberry Coulis to this and gently fold into the mix. Careful not to over do it
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Serve when cool
Tip: Could be served with some whipped cream
Sponge cake recipe courtesy: http://www.allrecipes.com