When you have a toddler and an infant below a year, one pot dishes really come to your rescue, especially with the limited amount of time I seem to have at hand to tend to ALL their needs. haha!
Trilok wanted noodles for dinner I wanted him to have his veggies we compromised and I made him some noodle soup. Easy peasy lemon squeezy! This one’s a breeze to make and is pretty tasty too.
Recipe courtesy, my super mom BFF from Winty’s Kitchen on Instagram.
Here’s what you will need:
A bunch of veggies chopped coarsely. One can use absolutely anything!
- Celery sticks small
- French Beans
- Garlic pods
- Salt and pepper to tase
- Butter for a quick stir fry
- Noodles (one could select the whole wheat kinds too)
- Sauté the veg in deep sauce pan, add the seasoning and dunk in the veggies and noodles for a bit.
- Add a couple of cups of water to immerse the veggies and noodles in completely and let it all come to a boil. Keep a watch and let it remain soupy.
- Keep a watch and do not let everything overcook. My son likes a little crunch to his veg so I keep it that way. Plus I wouldn’t want the noodles to turn into an overcooked mush.
- Serve warm.
It makes for a really yum dinner for adults too. Pop in some dinner rolls with garlic butter in the oven and the whole family is good to go!
Bon Appétit folks!
Trilok loves pasta, I think I may have mentioned that a number of times before. He also loves mac ‘n’ cheese like most of us :). So to put a spin on mac ‘n’ cheese I concocted a mac ‘n’ soup dinner tonight. It was a thick, smooth, flavoursome, basil, carrot and red pepper soup doused in cream with a helping of mini macaroni in it.
It looked just as gorgeous as it tasted. A content toddler at the dinner table is a content mum for the night! <3
- 1/4 Cup macaroni or pasta of your choice
- 1 Small carrot, chopped
- 1/4 Red pepper, chopped
- 1 Clove of garlic, grated
- A couple of leaves of fresh basil
- Olive oil or ghee (my preference)
- A tablespoon or two of fresh cream (for the end)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta and set aside
- In a pan add ghee/olive oil and sauté the garlic
- Add in the carrots and cook until a little soft
- Then add in the red pepper
- Add the basil and the salt and pepper
I usually let it the red pepper char a little bit for a smoky flavour
- Keep sprinkling water to soften the veggies
- Once cooked enough, remove from fire and set aside to cool
- Once cooled, puree the lot in a blender. Make sure its super smooth in texture
- Transfer the puree back into the pan and give it one quick boil adding in water to achieve the desired consistency
- Add in the cream right at the end so that it doesn’t split
- Pour out into a toddler serving bowl
- Add the desired amount of macaroni to the soup and serve warm
I particularly love this because it’s just so healthy and filling and you can make the soup out of any available veggies at hand. It’s a welcome break from the regular dinner routine!